Co-op Equal Pay
CO-OP EQUAL PAY CLAIM
Hundreds of Co-op store workers have joined Equal Pay Now to bring a legal claim against the company. Their demand is clear. They want to be treated fairly. This means being paid a wage that would put them on an equal footing with their colleagues in other parts of the business.
Men and women on shop floors across Britain do a challenging job and work long hours. They interact with customers throughout their shifts, which is a key part of their supermarket’s success.
Despite this, pay between shop floor workers and their co-workers in warehouse and distribution centres, whose roles are wrongly deemed to be more taxing, is far from fair.
However, specialist law firm Leigh Day are now challenging this unequal situation with the Equal Pay Now campaign.
If we succeed, shop floor employees at Co-op and other leading supermarkets will get a well-deserved and long overdue pay rise. They will also likely receive compensation, which could amount to up to six years of back pay. Find out more below about how to join our rapidly growing Co-op Equal Pay Claim.
WHO CAN CLAIM?
- Has been paid by the hour.
- Worked in a supermarket store in England, Scotland or Wales in the last six months.
- Is a current or former employee. It doesn’t matter if you are a current employee or have left your job in this period.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
- Leigh Day is running this claim on a ‘no win-no fee’ basis, which means that, providing they keep to the terms of the agreement, our members will only pay in the event of the tribunal finding in our favour. The fee that will be payable in this instance will be established at the outset of the claim.
- You won’t have to pay costs if the claim fails. An employment tribunal is a cost neutral venue, meaning each side pays its own costs (The rare exception to this is if either party acts in an unreasonable or dishonest way).
- Find out more about fees and costs via our FAQs page.
- It is unlawful for your company to sack you or discriminate against you for joining Equal Pay Now.
- Every day you wait to join Equal Pay Now means the amount of compensation you can claim may decrease.
- The case for equal pay will be led by the claims of female store workers. If successful, their male colleagues who signed up to the campaign will be able to ‘piggyback’ this action and will likely be eligible for the same level of compensation.
WHO ARE WE?
We are Leigh Day and we are taking the equal pay case to an employment tribunal on a ‘no win-no fee’ basis. We believe the claim that store and warehouse workers do jobs of equal value is a strong and winnable one.
We specialise in group employment claims and are confident that we will succeed in making sure every Co-op store worker is paid equally. We are dedicated to defending these claims on behalf of the thousands of supermarket store workers across England and Scotland.
Sign up to Equal Pay Now by registering online or call our equal pay team on 0203 7800 479.
WE ARE WORTH MORE
"The Co-op couldn’t survive without staff like us. We make the Co-op, we are worth more, and they should pay us more"